Designed by: Michele Foster
Pattern code: A4A-117
Finished size: 24″ square
Skill Level: Confident Beginner
Pattern Format: PDF file
Penny Candy is a fun quilt to make that uses four fat quarters (you will have left-over fabrics), plus a background fabric. The quilt is made of up two units, that use half-square triangles. This mini quilt is a great afternoon project. Mini quilts are lovely as table toppers and wall hangings, and they make excellent gifts.
- One block/pattern, three layout options, as shown below.
- Full colour pattern.
- Step-by-step, detailed instructions and diagrams.
- Blank drawings to plan your colours.
- Instructions are included for using Specialty Rulers, if you have them. These rulers are not required.
- Four fat quarters for the mini quilt top. You will have left-over fabrics that you may wish to piece together for the backing.
- ¾ yard of background fabric (includes binding).
- 28″ square of fabric for the backing.
- 27″ square of batting.
- General sewing and quilting supplies (i.e. rotary cutter, mat, sewing machine, piecing thread).
I’m a huge fan of using Specialty Rulers to make triangle and flying geese units. I teach this method in my Learn to Quilt Booklets. Below are some of my favourite rulers:
- Multi Size 6″ Flying Geese & 45 Degree & 90 Degree Triangle
- Easy Star & Geese Ruler
- Easy Angle and Companion Angle Rulers
These rulers are NOT required to complete this pattern.
Additional Layout Options
Close-Up Quilting Photos
Milo Photo Shoot
Yes, my Milo wants to play an important role in all of my quilting-related photo shoots. If I’m taking a photo, Milo must be included.
This quilt design, tutorial and photos are copyright Michele Foster of Aiming for Accuracy Pattern Co. Please respect copyright and do not copy the tutorial or republish it, for free or for sale, in print or online. You may use this tutorial for your own personal use to create products for free or for sale. However, please credit Michele Foster of Aiming for Accuracy Pattern Co. for the design. No mass production is allowed.