Designed by: Michele Foster
Pattern code: A4A-104
Finished size: 10.5" x 6.5" each
Skill level: Beginner
Technique: Fused appliqué
Format: PDF file (download and save instantly) [9 pages]
Price: $6.00 (USD)
Spread some colourful love with your friends and family with these easy-to-make Patchwork LOVE Mug Rugs. Each mug rug finishes at 10.5" x 6.5". They are perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day or to celebrate Springtime and birthdays throughout the year.
The pattern includes two fused appliqué designs (Flower Garden and Flower Petals) and instructions for using fabric scraps to make your own colourful patchwork fabric. Full-sized placement guides and separate pattern pages are provided. Detailed instructions, product recommendations and colour photos are provided throughout.
The requirements below are for making both the mug rugs.
- Various scraps of fabric ranging from light pink to dark pink/red. I used four pieces 5" x 9"
- Scraps of fabric for the stems, leaves, flower centres, background hearts and eight 2" squares for the side borders of the Flower Petals mug rug
- One 8" x 10" piece of light weight muslin or broadcloth (inexpensive)
- One 10.5" x 6.5" piece and one 7.5" x 6.5" piece for the appliqué background fabric
- Two 12" x 8" pieces backing fabric
- Two strips 2.25" x 40" for binding
- Half yard paper-backed fusible web (such as Wonder Under or Heat’n Bond Lite)
- One 10.5" x 6.5" piece and one 7.5" x 6.5" piece of lightweight fusible woven interfacing or wash away stabilizer (optional)
- Two 11.5" x 7.5" pieces batting
- General sewing and quilting supplies (i.e. rotary cutter, mat, sewing machine, piecing thread, etc.)
The first three items above are used in making the colourful Patchwork Fabric. If you wish, you can use scraps of cotton fabrics for the appliqué shapes instead of making your own fabric as shown in the samples.
This quilt design, tutorial and photos are copyright Michele Foster of Aiming for Accuracy Pattern Co. Please respect copyright and do not copy the tutorial or republish it, for free or for sale, in print or online. You may use this tutorial for your own personal use to create products for free or for sale. However, please credit Michele Foster of Aiming for Accuracy Pattern Co. for the design. No mass production is allowed.