Designed by: Michele Foster
Pattern code: A4A-118
Finished size: 24″ square
Skill level: Beginner – Confident Beginner
Pattern Format: PDF file (download and save instantly)
Price: $8.00 (USD)
Bear Necessities is a fun quilt to make that uses four fat quarters (you will have left-over fabrics), plus a background fabric. The mini quilt is made up of 16 blocks that each contain one large and six small half-square triangles (HST) and one small square. In my design, two colour ways are used for the small HST units; however, this would make a a great scrappy quilt top too.
Mini quilts are excellent as an afternoon piecing project. Mini quilts are lovely as table toppers and wall hangings, and they make excellent gifts.
- One block with three layout options.
- Full colour pattern.
- Step-by-step, detailed instructions and diagrams.
- Blank drawings to plan your colours.
- Instructions are included for using Specialty Rulers (see below), if you have them. These rulers are not required.
- Four fat quarters for the mini quilt top. You will have left-over fabrics that you may wish to piece together for the backing.
- ½ yard of background fabric (includes binding).
- 28″ square of fabric for the backing.
- 27″ square of batting.
- General sewing and quilting supplies (i.e. rotary cutter, mat, sewing machine, piecing thread).
I’m a huge fan of using Specialty Rulers to make triangle and flying geese units. I teach this method in my Skill Building Quilting Booklets. Below are some of my favourite rulers:
- Multi Size 6″ Flying Geese & 45 Degree & 90 Degree Triangle
- Easy Star & Geese Ruler
- Easy Angle and Companion Angle Rulers
These rulers are NOT required to complete this pattern.
This quilt design, tutorial and photos are copyright Michele Foster of Aiming for Accuracy Pattern Co. Please respect copyright and do not copy the tutorial or republish it, for free or for sale, in print or online. You may use this tutorial for your own personal use to create products for free or for sale. However, please credit Michele Foster of Aiming for Accuracy Pattern Co. for the design. No mass production is allowed.